We've been hard at work registering voters and making sure residents in town have access to voting information. Have you seen any of our tables around town? Last week, we set up shop outside of the New Canaan Library with lots of educational materials including our New Canaan Votes! poster, and our President Micaela Porta even made it on the news!
We're taking any and all questions in person, but we're also here to answer your questions online. Just submit your questions here, and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as we are able!
The 2020 edition of our Voters Guide is in mailboxes and live! The Voters Guide is an annual initiative by the League of Women Voters of New Canaan to provide timely, unbiased information about candidates ahead of each election. Check out the candidates responses as they tell us:
1. How they feel CT should balance economic development and health/safety in response to COVID-19;
2. The three things that need to happen for CT's economic expansion and what would they would do to facilitate that;
3. Two social issues that they expect to address in the state legislature in the next two years and what their positions are;
4. What committees have they been involved in as a legislator, or what committees would they plan to serve on; and what have they accomplished and/or do they plan to accomplish in such roles;
5. Write up to two questions they think voters should be asking General Assembly candidates and state their position on those issues; and
6. A video response: Voter apathy is highest in the 18-35 age bracket. What message do they have for those voters that will inspire them to go to the polls and vote?
4TH DISTRICT DEBATE (VIRTUAL)
Jim Himes and Jonathan Riddle
Sunday, October 18th, 4pm
Advance registration required through Westport Library. Upon registration, you will have the opportunity to submit your questions for the debate.
LWVNC DEBATE (VIRTUAL)
Lucy Dathan and Fred Wilms
Will Haskell and Kim Healy
Ryan Fazio and Alex Kasser
Monday, October 19th, 7pm
Will be live streamed on NCTV 79. Submit candidate questions in advance here. Questions must be submitted by 12 pm on Monday, October 19th.
Following the policy of the National League of Women Voters, the New Canaan chapter will host the 2020 debate for contested State seats only. The LWV Policy follows the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) requirement that a “debate must include at least two candidates.” Additionally, the FCC Regulations forbid the broadcast of any event with empty chair debates. The FCC’s rationale is that an empty chair debate would give one candidate an opportunity to promote his/her campaign, conferring a real benefit on that candidate which could be interpreted as improper electioneering activity. Debates will be held for State Senate 36th District (Voting District 1), featuring candidates Ryan Fazio (R) and Alex Kasser (D); State Senate 26th District (Voting Districts 2 & 3) featuring Will Haskell (D) and Kim Healy (R); and State Assembly 142nd District (Voting District 3) featuring Lucy Dathan (D) and Fred Wilms (R). For State Assembly 125th District (Voting Districts 1 & 2), Tom O’Dea (R) is uncontested.
We hope you are enjoying our new look! We think it is much easier to navigate, which is particularly important during a presidential election!
Stay tuned for important additions, including our 2020 Voters Guide! We've been hard at work and cannot wait to share our candidates' answers to your most pressing questions.
Check out our newly designed Events page, and be sure to check in so you don't miss a beat!
🗳 New Canaan Votes!
You asked for one stop shopping for the timeline and other important voting info, and we consolidated the information we've been sharing into one graphic.
Please share with family, friends, and neighbors when you ask them, "Do you have a plan to vote on November 3rd?"
Click here for our Voting Timeline.